Frequently Asked Questions about Employment Law

I'd like to chat!

Get answers to your frequently asked questions about employment law from the expert team at Goldman Advocacy Law LLC. Our lawyers can help you navigate your rights and obligations as an employee or employer.

Employment law governs the relationship between employers and employees, and it covers various aspects such as wages, benefits, discrimination, and workplace safety. Our experienced team at Goldman Advocacy Law LLC helps both employees and employers understand their rights and responsibilities to ensure a fair and just working environment.

What types of cases does Goldman Advocacy Law LLC handle?

Our team handles a wide range of employment law matters, including wrongful termination, discrimination and harassment, wage and hour disputes, FMLA issues, employment contracts, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, and whistleblower retaliation claims.

What should I do if I suspect I’ve been discriminated against at work?

Contact Goldman Advocacy Law LLC for a confidential consultation. Our lawyers will help you understand your rights and determine the best course of action to protect yourself and seek justice.

How do I know if I have a valid wrongful termination claim?

Contact Goldman Advocacy Law LLC for a free consultation. We’ll evaluate your case and provide guidance on the next steps if you believe you’ve been wrongfully terminated.

How can employers prevent employment disputes?

To prevent employment disputes, employers should create clear policies and procedures, train managers and employees on anti-discrimination and harassment laws, ensure timely payment of wages and benefits, keep accurate records of employee performance and disciplinary actions, and consult with an experienced employment lawyer, like the team at Goldman Advocacy Law LLC, for guidance and policy review.

How can Goldman Advocacy Law LLC help me with my employment law case?

At Goldman Advocacy Law LLC, we provide comprehensive legal support for all employment law matters. Our experienced lawyers will guide you through the entire process, from evaluating your case to representing you in court or settlement negotiations. We pride ourselves on our commitment to client success and our ability to bring light to darkness during difficult times.

Can I sue my employer for not paying overtime wages?

If your employer has failed to pay you overtime wages in accordance with federal and state laws, you may have a valid claim. Our team at Goldman Advocacy Law LLC can help you determine if you’re eligible for overtime pay and guide you through the process of recovering unpaid wages.

I’m being harassed at work. What are my options?

If you’re experiencing harassment at work, report the harassment to your supervisor, HR department, or any appropriate authority within your organization. Keep a record of the incidents, including dates, times, locations, and any witnesses. Consult with an experienced employment lawyer, like our team at Goldman Advocacy Law LLC, to discuss your options and protect your rights.

What is the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and how does it protect my rights?

The FMLA is a federal law that provides eligible employees with up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave per year for certain family and medical reasons. If you believe your FMLA rights have been violated, contact the Goldman Advocacy Law LLC team for assistance.

What is a non-compete agreement, and is it enforceable?

A non-compete agreement is a contract between an employer and employee that restricts the employee from working for a competitor or starting a competing business for a specified period after their employment ends. The enforceability of non-compete agreements varies by state and depends on factors such as the agreement’s duration, geographic scope, and the legitimate business interests it protects. Our team at Goldman Advocacy Law LLC can help.

What is the process of filing a discrimination or harassment claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)?

If you believe you’ve been subjected to discrimination or harassment based on a protected characteristic, you may file a charge with the EEOC. The process typically involves the following steps:

  •     Contact the EEOC to discuss your situation and determine if filing a charge is appropriate.
  •     File a charge with the EEOC within the applicable deadline (usually 180 or 300 days from the date of the discriminatory act, depending on the state).The EEOC will investigate your claim and may attempt to resolve the matter through mediation or other informal means.

If the EEOC determines that discrimination occurred, they may attempt to negotiate a settlement with your employer or file a lawsuit on your behalf.

If the EEOC is unable to resolve your claim, they will issue a “right to sue” letter, allowing you to pursue a private lawsuit.

Our team at Goldman Advocacy Law LLC can help you navigate this process, providing expert guidance and representation every step of the way.

How long do I have to file a lawsuit after experiencing an employment law violation?

The time limit for filing an employment law lawsuit, also known as the statute of limitations, varies depending on the type of claim and the applicable federal or state laws. The deadline can be as short as 180 days or as long as several years. To ensure you don’t miss any critical deadlines, it’s crucial to consult with an experienced employment lawyer like the team at Goldman Advocacy Law LLC as soon as possible.

Can I sue my employer for workplace stress or a toxic work environment?

While experiencing workplace stress or a toxic work environment can be challenging, it may not always be grounds for a lawsuit. However, if the stress or toxicity is the result of unlawful actions, such as harassment or discrimination based on a protected characteristic, you may have a valid claim. Additionally, if the stress has led to a qualifying medical condition under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), you may be entitled to reasonable accommodations. Contact the team at Goldman Advocacy Law LLC to discuss your specific situation and explore your legal options.

Can my employer monitor my emails or phone calls?

In general, employers have the right to monitor company-owned devices and communication systems, including emails and phone calls, for legitimate business purposes. However, there are limits to this monitoring, and employers cannot infringe upon employees’ reasonable expectation of privacy. State laws may also impose additional restrictions. If you believe your privacy has been violated at work, contact Goldman Advocacy Law LLC for guidance on your rights and potential legal remedies.

What should I expect during an employment law consultation with Goldman Advocacy Law LLC?

During your free employment law consultation with Goldman Advocacy Law LLC, you can expect the following:

  •     A confidential discussion of your situation with one of our experienced employment lawyers.
  •     An evaluation of your case, including the potential strengths and weaknesses, as well as the likelihood of success.
  •     Guidance on your legal rights and the various options available to you.
  •     Information about our fee structure and the process of working with our firm.
  •     An opportunity to ask any questions you may have about your case or our services.

Can my employer force me to work overtime?

In most cases, employers can require employees to work overtime as long as they compensate non-exempt employees at the appropriate overtime rate. However, certain state laws may impose additional restrictions or limitations on mandatory overtime. If you’re unsure about your rights regarding overtime or believe you’ve been unfairly treated, contact the team at Goldman Advocacy Law LLC for expert guidance and support.

More FAQ's

I'm Ready To Chat

Get in Touch with Goldman Advocacy Law, LLC